Last year, CMS issued a final rule clarifying that transplant patients on Medicare insurance can be covered for dental exams and treatments to identify and eradicate dental infections that risk complication of their organ, stem cell, or bone marrow transplant procedures. STSW submitted valuable comments to the agency strongly supporting the proposed rule. Although the rule became effective January 1, it is unclear to what extent the transplant community is aware of it and whether patients have been able to benefit from it. For this reason, we are conducting a survey of transplant centers and coordinators.
The purpose of this project is to provide:
- information about the coverage to STSW’s members (below)
- a draft patient education fact sheet that STSW’s members may want to use as a template for informing patients about the coverage (below), and
- Obtain feedback about implementation of the Medicare payment clarification through the survey below.
Additional Information for Providers and Patients
- Provider Information on Medicare Payment for Dental Treatment Integral to a Medicare-covered Organ Transplant (including solid organ, bone marrow, and hematopoietic stem cell transplant)
- Patient Information Sheet – Dental examination and treatment prior to organ transplant, and related Medicare payment