This week, Action Network Initiative (ANI), a non-partisan advocacy network that supports the mission of Arnold Ventures to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice through evidence-based policy reform, will kick off an integrated campaign to remind Members of Congress and the Administration that insurance companies are abusing Medicare Advantage by overcharging seniors and taxpayers by billions of dollars each year.
A digital and TV ad campaign will begin running in the Washington, DC market this week, as will outreach to the Hill and reporters. To see the ad you can visit ActionNowInitiative.org/medicare-advantage.
The objective of this effort is to urge policymakers to finalize the proposed changes to Medicare Advantage payments and encourage them to do more to crack down on Medicare Advantage insurers’ waste and abuse.
There has been increased attention and outside spending on this issue. The insurance industry backed groups fighting against the proposal have spent at least 10 million in TV advertising alone, including a Superbowl ad. With insurers (and their front groups) flooding the airways with their false narratives, there is the need for a strong counterweight representing the interests of seniors and taxpayers who are paying billions more due to insurance companies’ abusive billing practices.
Over the next 2-3 weeks, ANI will send out materials and background information that aim to define the Administration’s proposed changes for what they are – an urgently needed step to address overpayments to Medicare Advantage plans – and push back on the false and misleading claims that these reforms represent a “cut” to seniors’ benefits.
Help spread the word that these proposed changes, while not enough, are a step in the right direction.
- Email email@example.com with a quote with your thoughts about the misinformation pushed by insurers, the waste and abuse in Medicare Advantage, and the need to protect seniors and their benefits. Quotes may be considered for reporters or featured them in materials.
- Retweet content you see on Arnold Venture’s Twitter account – or post your own tweet and email ANI at to let us know you did. Also please feel free to share the ad on ActionNowInitiative.org/medicare-advantage with your networks.
- Disseminate the shared materials to your colleagues and networks.
- Send a Letter to the Editor.
- Be available to share rapid response statements to refute false claims and statements about the proposed changes. Email ANI to let us know if you’d be interested/available to participate in any on-the-record or off-the-record conversations with press).
- Engage with the media on your own as is feasible (feel free to use our resources as background).
- Encourage people in your network to visit Arnoldventures.org for additional background on Medicare Advantage, and our recommendations for evidence-based reform.