Earlier this month, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) released the latest enrollment figures for Medicare, Medicaid, and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), reproduced below.
As of November 2021, 64.1 million people are enrolled in Medicare.
This is an increase of nearly 111,000 since the last report.
- 36.2 million are enrolled in Original Medicare.
- 28.0 million are enrolled in Medicare Advantage or other health plans. This includes enrollment in Medicare Advantage plans with and without prescription drug coverage.
- 49.1 million are enrolled in Medicare Part D. This includes enrollment in stand-alone prescription drug plans as well as Medicare Advantage plans that offer prescription drug coverage.
Medicaid and Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
As of September 2021, 84,828,543 of people are enrolled in Medicaid and CHIP. This is an increase of 1,213,766 since the last report.
- 77,879,760 are enrolled in Medicaid
- 6,948,783 are enrolled in CHIP
For more information on Medicaid/CHIP enrollment, including enrollment trends, see here.
March 17, 2022 – D. Lipschutz
*Over 11.8 million individuals are dually eligible for Medicare and Medicaid, and are counted in the enrollment figures for both programs.