The Center for Medicare Advocacy, Inc. (the Center) is a private, non-profit, public interest law organization that works to advance access to Medicare, quality health care, and health equity for older people and people with disabilities. The Center focuses on the needs of people with long-term and chronic conditions. The organization’s work includes individual advocacy, education, legislative and regulatory analysis, policy initiatives, and litigation of importance to Medicare beneficiaries nationwide. Headquartered in Connecticut and Washington, DC, the Center also has attorneys in CA, MA, and NJ.
The Center seeks an attorney to practice in the Connecticut office; some remote work options are possible. The attorney will be a member of the team that leads the organization’s high volume administrative law practice and individual legal advocacy. Among other things, the attorney will be expected to perform the following duties:
- Maintain and manage a large case load of Medicare administrative appeals for dually eligible beneficiaries (those eligible for both Medicare and Medicaid).
- Perform client intakes and provide direct representation for Medicare beneficiaries which will include regularly representing Medicare beneficiaries at Administrative Law Judge hearings.
- Become familiar with the Medicare program in general, including statutes, regulations and policy, with a particular emphasis on the skilled nursing facility and home health care settings and the appeals process.
- Draft educational materials.
- Present at in-person and virtual trainings for attorneys, health care professionals, and other stakeholders.
- Analyze and respond to changes in federal regulation and policy.
The successful candidate must have excellent oral, written, research, and organizational skills; an energetic, collaborative work ethic; a demonstrated ability to problem solve independently and as part of a team; and a passion for social justice. Proficiency in Spanish, and some health care and/or health care rights background are desired but not required. A law degree and Bar membership are required. (CT Bar preferred; ability to take or qualify for CT Bar required.)
The office is located in Mansfield, CT. 15 minutes from the University of Connecticut, 40 minutes from Hartford, 1½ hours from Boston, and 2½ hours from New York City.
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefit package.
The Center for Medicare Advocacy, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability and genetic information, age or any other non-merit factor.
Send resume, cover letter, 2 references and a writing sample electronically to email@example.com, OR by mail to Communications Director, 11 Ledgebrook Drive, Mansfield Center, CT 06250\
Job Type: Full-time